MMC 2.1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Beta 2
a***@rediffmail.com
2005-05-11 06:23:24 UTC
Hi,

I am pasting a paragraph from Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Beta 2
Reviewers Guide.

"Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 2.1 has been expanded to include an
enterprise-wide administration framework for managing file and print
services. Administrators will benefit from the familiar look and feel
of Microsoft's standard management interface. Businesses can mitigate
the need for on-site administrators or third-party consultants for
resolving local issues. "

Does this release have C#, WinForms View Support. Is Microsoft bundling
examples of MMC Snap-in in C#.

Can someone give more information on MMC 2.1 ?

Regards,
Anoop
Eric Voskuil (MVP)
2005-05-11 16:34:05 UTC
It's strange to see file and print services described as an expansion of
MMC - MMC is a host for snap-ins and doesn't implement any management
functionality. But it's still beta documentation too ;-).

Yes to all of your other questions.

Eric
Anoop
Samuel Li [MSFT]
Anoop
Anoop
2005-07-14 08:58:58 UTC
Hi,

I want ot know whether MMC 2.1 (now MMC 3.0) will be made available as
a redistributable with the following OS

1) Windows XP (with or without SPs)
2) Windows 2003 Server (Versions before R2, with or without SPs)
3) Windows 2000 Prof/Server (I think I know the answer to this one.
Still just hoping ?)

Regards,
Anoop
Eric Voskuil (MVP)
2005-07-14 15:22:42 UTC
Anoop,
Post by Anoop
I want ot know whether MMC 2.1 (now MMC 3.0) will be made available as
a redistributable with the following OS
1) Windows XP (with or without SPs)
maybe, probably not lower than SP2
Post by Anoop
2) Windows 2003 Server (Versions before R2, with or without SPs)
maybe, probably not lower than SP1
Post by Anoop
3) Windows 2000 Prof/Server (I think I know the answer to this one.
Still just hoping ?)
very unlikely

Eric
Anoop
2005-07-21 12:34:44 UTC
Hi,

I finally installed Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Beta 2 on a
machine in office.
Just going through MMC 2.1.

The new features promised

a) New action pane - Saw that, looks good. I found a screenshot of this
in action. Thought I will share it with everyone

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003R2Beta2/Library/SanMGR/9149d0d1-07aa-4ca6-ba46-a905b7fa1a6a.mspx

b) New Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box

It seems some registry key is needed to see this. Eric can you give me
the key needed for this

c) Improved error handling

Well I cant comment unless I code

d) What about support for WinForms View ?.
How will I get the Platform SDK for this release, so that I can see
the samples for MMC 2.1 ?

e) My query
Say Microsoft makes .Net 2.0 and MMC 2.1 available as redistributable
for XP with SP2 and 2003 Server SP1.
I prefer the C# programming environment over VC++ environment.

Should I develop my Snap-in in C# or VC++ ?

If I develop in VC++ or C# using the ironring library will it be easy
enough to port it to C# using Microsoft SDK later ?

Regards,
Anoop
Anoop

Anoop
Eric Voskuil (MVP)
2005-07-25 04:57:13 UTC
Post by Anoop
I finally installed Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Beta 2 on a
machine in office.
Just going through MMC 2.1.
The new features promised
a) New action pane - Saw that, looks good. I found a screenshot of this
in action. Thought I will share it with everyone
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003R2Beta2/Library/SanMGR/9149d0d1-07aa-4ca6-ba46-a905b7fa1a6a.mspx
Note that the "results pane" description in this screen shot is not a list
view, and the "description area" is not a MMC view at all. There are three
panes, the scope (tree), the results pane is essentially the same as before,
and there is a new "action pane" on the right. The result pane in this case
is probably a winform view - which is essentially works like an OCX view but
with a WinForm (i.e. draw it all yourself). Also note that in managed code
development for MMC 3.0 (formerly MMC 2.1), you can't configure toolbar
buttons or independent context menus or menu bars. All "actions" are now
tied to the action pane. There are a number of other native code features
that aren't accessible from the MCF. On the flip side, native code
interfaces can't access the WinForm view or expicitly configure the action
pane, however all MMC 2.0 interfaces are supported in MMC 3.0 natively.
Post by Anoop
b) New Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box
It seems some registry key is needed to see this. Eric can you give me
the key needed for this
From one of the two ReadMe docs:

Add/Remove Snap-in Dialog Box:
To enable the new dialog box UI add the following key to the registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\UseNewUI]
Post by Anoop
c) Improved error handling
Well I cant comment unless I code
This mainly means that if multiple snap-ins are loaded and one (a managed
code snap-in) crashes, it won't crash the other(s).
Post by Anoop
d) What about support for WinForms View ?.
It's in there, if you develop using the managed code framewok (MCF)
Post by Anoop
How will I get the Platform SDK for this release, so that I can see
the samples for MMC 2.1 ?
I believe that everything that's available is on the beta site.
Post by Anoop
e) My query
Say Microsoft makes .Net 2.0 and MMC 2.1 available as redistributable
for XP with SP2 and 2003 Server SP1.
I prefer the C# programming environment over VC++ environment.
Should I develop my Snap-in in C# or VC++ ?
That's your call and rests on how much existing code you have to port, where
your expertise is, whether you need down-level platform support, etc,
whether you can live with the limitations of MCF snap-ins, and whether you
need the MCF improvements.
Post by Anoop
If I develop in VC++ or C# using the ironring library will it be easy
enough to port it to C# using Microsoft SDK later ?
The snap-in part of your snap-ins will be quite a bit different I think, but
other isolated parts would be portable without change if well isolated.
Regardless, it would probably be easier than a port from native code dev.

Best,

Eric
is there an sdk for mmc2.1